Saturday, February 21, 2015

Off To Paradise

So, I'm off to Kona, HI for a week. I lived there with my family for about 8 years through high school and some of my college years. This will be the first time I've been back since we moved in 1996. Almost 19 years. How is that possible? When we first moved, I'll admit I didn't really miss it. I was ready to live in seasons. And tired of what felt like endless long flights back and forth for holidays from college in Indiana. And missing out on seeing my family on the shorter holidays because it was too far to go for such a short time. But in the past few years, I've found myself longing more and more to go back and soak in the warmth, the incredible flower-laden air, the sound of the Pacific Ocean outside my windows. So, when the opportunity presented itself, I leapt at the chance to go. Wishing it was for longer than a week, but I'll take what I can get! The last place we lived there was right across the street from the water and we would take our kayaks across and paddle out whenever we wanted. The cottage we're renting on this trip is by the ocean and has a small beach right outside, so I'm hoping to spend a fair amount of time in a kayak and on a stand up paddle board during my days there. And planning to be active in other ways too. We've been planning for some hiking and I'll admit I've been dreaming of a morning run or two next to the ocean!

As I write this, I'm sitting on the plane, still at the gate, on my flight from St. Louis to Denver. Apparently Denver is on a ground delay as they try to remove the quantities of snow they got overnight. So, we'll be almost an hour late departing here. Thankfully, the ground delay means all the other flights are also delayed, so I'm praying my connection to Kona will be in the same boat. Either way, once we're airborn, I'll be getting closer to Hawaii. And I can't wait!!

Aloha!!

No comments:

Post a Comment